2019-01-09 / Sports

Oracles outlast Cougars, lose rematch with Rossville

By John Dunn
Contributing sportswriter


Carroll’s Jalen Ovalle drives through Blake Carroll’s block attempt Friday night. The Oracles won the contest 45-40. Bill Stauffer photo Carroll’s Jalen Ovalle drives through Blake Carroll’s block attempt Friday night. The Oracles won the contest 45-40. Bill Stauffer photo Garrett Tomson led all scorers with 15 points, and Zach Townsend posted a doubledouble with 10 points and 13 rebounds to lead Delphi to a 45-40 victory over Carroll Friday at DCHS. The Oracles never trailed, but also never led by more than 10 points as the Cougars kept close throughout.

Delphi scored the game’s first six points and then took the first of two 10-point leads in the game at 15-5 on a Townsend basket with 1:05 left before Carroll had a 5-0 spurt to make it 15-10 to end the 1st period.

The Cougars got to within 15-13 on a Jalen Ovalle “and- 1” with 6:05 left in the 2nd period, before the Oracles had a 6-0 run to go up 21-13 with 2:48 left in the 1st half. The Oracles held onto a 21-17 lead at halftime.

Delphi went on an 8-2 run to start the 3rd period to take their second 10-point lead at 29-19 with 4:22 left in the quarter on the way to a 30-24 lead at the break.


Delphi’s Garrett Tomson grabs a defensive rebound over Cougar Ethan Duff. Bill Stauffer photo Delphi’s Garrett Tomson grabs a defensive rebound over Cougar Ethan Duff. Bill Stauffer photo Ovalle opened the 4th period with a trey, and then Aaron Atkisson had an “and- 1” to cut the deficit to 32-30 with 6:37 left. The Cougars would get no closer as the Oracles answered with an 8-3 run, hitting 6-of-8 free throws in the final minute, including 4-of-4 from Seth Waters, to seal the win.

“We got off to a nice start and were able to hold on,” Delphi head coach Brian Mc- Cammon said. “Both teams played hard, and we were fortunate to come out with the win.”

The Oracles shot 33.3 percent overall, including 4-of- 15 (26.7 percent) from 3-pt. range and 13-of 23 (56.5 percent) from the foul line, while Carroll shot 37.5 percent overall, 5-of-20 (25.0 percent) on 3-pointers and 5-of-8 (62.5 percent) from the charity stripe. Delphi won the battle of the boards 33-22.

Blake Carroll added eight points, Waters had six, Peyton Roth four, and Elijah Hudson and Kane Zimpfer had one point each

Ovalle led the Cougars with 11 points off the bench, Quinton Veach added nine, Aaron Atkisson had eight, Jaden Harness seven, Hayden Sorrells three, and Ryan Atkisson two.

The Oracles (7-5) host Sheridan on Friday and North Newton on Saturday, while Carroll (4-4) plays at Clinton Prairie Friday and hosts Pioneer Saturday, all with 6 p.m. JV tip-offs. Vs. Rossville

After playing the Hornets in a tight 54-46 loss last week in the championship of the Indiana Kitchen Holiday Classic, the rematch was all Rossville, 62-39.

With the score tied at 6 with 4:16 left in the 1st period, the Hornets went on a 20-4 run over the next eight-plus minutes of game time that extended into the 2nd quarter to take a 26-10 lead with 4:03 left in the half. Dirk Shaw scored 15 points during the stretch, leading Rossville to leads of 13-8 after the 1st period and 34-18 at halftime.

The Hornets extended the lead to 48-26 at the end of the 3rd period and then took their largest lead at 57-30 with 5:02 remaining before coasting to the win.

Carroll led Delphi with 13 points, Townsend added nine, Tyler Gano eight, Peyton and Jordan Roth had three apiece, Tomson had two and Zimpfer one.

“It just wasn’t our night,” Mc- Cammon said. “We didn’t hit shots. We turned it over. We have to come back next week and work on some things in practice.”

The Oracles had 20 turnovers and hit just 3-of-18 (16.7 percent) from 3-point range, although made 41.0 percent overall. Rossville made 48.0 percent overall and had only five turnovers.

Shaw led the Hornets with 21 points, Kirby Meeks added 14, and Chase Frey had 12.

Rossville (9-2) plays at Tri- Central Friday and hosts Frankfort Saturday, both with 6 p.m. JV tip-offs. JV results

The Delphi JV (2-9) lost to the Hornets 39-34.

Zach Munson led with 10 points, followed by Ethan Randle and Gavin Gleason with eight apiece, Kooper Myer with five, Avery Royal two and Kalvin Jones with one.

Return to top