2018-10-10 / Looking Back

Looking Back


Men and young boys with pitchforks are seen bailing hay. The photo was taken on a farm somewhere in Carroll County in 1918. Men and young boys with pitchforks are seen bailing hay. The photo was taken on a farm somewhere in Carroll County in 1918. From files of Carroll County Comet, Journal-Citizen, Hoosier Democrat, Delphi Journal, Flora History website and the Carroll County Historical Museum.

10 YEARS AGO

A groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new Rossville Volunteer Fire Station that will include four bays that will hold eight trucks and a meeting room. The total cost of the project is $1.5 million.

The Delphi Community School Corporation held a public meeting at the high school to give the public and taxpayers an opportunity to question school board members about their decision to proceed with a renovation project. The scope of the project was reduced from $18 million to $13 million.

25 YEARS AGO

City of Delphi Police Chief Larry Ives held his first D.A.R.E. class at Delphi Community School Corporation for first through fifth grade Camden, Delphi and homebound students. The police department received an $1,850 grant from the Governor’s Commission for Drug Free Indiana for the program.

A cleared swath on either side of the Wabash River and a form being set for a bridge pier are the first evidence of construction on the longawaited Hoosier Heartland Highway. The contract calls for completion in 150 days, excluding the deep winter months.

50 YEARS AGO

The Board of Trustees of the Flora Public Library held an open house Oct. 13 in observance of the library’s 50th anniversary. In 1914 the people of Flora voted in favor of building a public library under the Carnegie program. It was 1917 before everything was ready to meet requirements and Ruth Dawson was appointed as the first librarian. A number of people donated books and the library was officially opened Aug. 18, 1918.

75 YEARS AGO

The war results in many innovations but none more unique than the “Serveself” barbershop conceived by Harvey Hoshaw, veteran Delphi barber, as a result of the shortage of help. It is believed to be the first of its kind in the nation. The Shave Yourself Shop has shelves on either side arranged with equipment for six to eight customers. People have the choice of an electric razor, old-fashioned straight edge, or safety razor for a fee of 15¢. The shop is located on the east side of the public square in Delphi.

100 YEARS AGO

Delphi schools, churches and moving houses are ordered closed and a ban is placed on all public gatherings by the city Board of Health, effective for one week. The state board received a telegram from Washington directing a similar movement in every city, town and practically every state asking that schools, churches, amusements of all kinds and all public gathering places to be closed indefinitely. At Delphi it is taken as a preventative measure against an epidemic of influenza such as has marked many cities in the east, and in view of the fact that Surgeon General Blue recommends such action wherever an epidemic looms. The germ that is transmitted in crowds very readily is also carried by school children. Plenty of fresh air and sunlight, with exercise, are the best preventives, according to Dr. Morgan.

Return to top