2018-09-12 / Looking Back

Looking Back


Men with their tractors are lined up in front of the Ford Garage located at the northwest corner of Michigan and 6th St. in Burlington in 1930. Men with their tractors are lined up in front of the Ford Garage located at the northwest corner of Michigan and 6th St. in Burlington in 1930. From files of Carroll County Comet, Journal-Citizen, Hoosier Democrat, Delphi Journal, the Flora History website and the Carroll County Historical Museum.

10 YEARS AGO

Larry E. Farmer, 62, of Delphi, was arrested Sept. 3 on suspicion of arson for setting the fire that destroyed part of the Wabash & Erie canal playground boat at Canal Park. According to Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby, Farmer will remain in the county jail on a $50,000 bond.

Richard Hawkins, representing eight neighbors on Armory Rd. in Delphi, addressed the City Council concerning their decision to chip and seal the road instead of paving it. Their concerns are for the safety of the children who travel the road each day, the poor quality of workmanship, the amount of dust and noise it will create and whether the council handled the decision in a responsible manner.

25 YEARS AGO

The new cement bridge over Wildcat Creek was completed and opened for traffic on CR500 E. northwest of Burlington. It replaced a steel truss bridge build in 1938 that was closed to meet federal regulations The lowest bid went to Hornback-Sickler Corporation of Monticello for $355,475.85, nearly $90,000 less than the engineer’s estimate. The county will provide 20 percent of the cost.

Jerry Holsapple, president of the Flora Community Club, asked the Flora Town Council if the town will consider helping Alloy Custom Products to expand. Alloy Custom Products produces custom process equipment for the food, chemical and drug industries. The business is located on SR75 in the old White Farm Implement building.

50 YEARS AGO

Dr. and Mrs. Robert Seese and a son, Dale, and daughter, Geraldine, all of Delphi visited the bloodmobile in Flora to donate. It was stated that to date the total blood donations from the family is 30 pints.

75 YEARS AGO

Final arrangements have been completed for the Third War Loan Drive designed to meet Carroll County’s quota of $733,300 worth of war bonds during the month of September. The quota was raised and that means that $50 worth of bonds needed to be purchased by every man, woman and child in Carroll County to reach the goal.

100 YEARS AGO

Carroll County Fuel Administrator W. H. Bradshaw announced that the hard coal supply is so limited that none will be available for any business, home or office of any description. Other arrangements have to be made.

The Carroll County Commissioners approved the county highway superintendent Edward Ferrier’s report, relative to appropriations for the upkeep of the county roads for the next year. A total of $48,700 was approved.

Return to top