2018-03-07 / Community

DOR offers several options to pay taxes owed

The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) urges individuals who may owe taxes to explore all available options to avoid costly penalties. With this year’s tax filing deadline of April 17 quickly approaching, taxpayers need to know the various ways they can make payment on state taxes. “We recognize no one wants to owe more state taxes than they have already had taken out of their hard-earned paychecks or other sources of income throughout the year. To that end, DOR is doing our best to accommodate our customers to ensure they are aware of their options and DOR’s willingness to work through their particular circumstances,” said DOR Commissioner Adam Krupp.

DOR offers some helpful tips and options for taxpayers who owe: • File taxes by the deadline – Even if the taxes owed cannot be paid at the time of filing, it is important to file on time to avoid late penalties. • Send in a payment with the tax filing – By sending a payment for as much as possible with the tax filing, the total amount owed and any interest due on the unpaid amount will be reduced. • Pay the tax bill online – Individuals and businesses can quickly and securely pay taxes owed online at www.dorpay.dor.in.gov. • Set up a payment plan – If an individual owes $100 or more, they may qualify for a payment plan. Visit www.intaxpay.in.gov to set up a payment plan. • File for an extension – If an individual is not sure a tax filing can be completed on time, they may qualify for an extension. Visit http://www.in.gov/dor/4736.ht m for more information.

For those that do not have funds to pay DOR when filing, it is recommended to file by the deadline to receive a tax bill via mail at a later date. Once a bill is received, the customer can set up a payment plan online or by calling DOR’s Payment Services at (317) 232-2165, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., EST.

For additional information regarding state tax billing and payments, customers can use DOR’s automated information line at (317) 233-4018. Before calling, customers need to have their tax identification or Social Security number along with the liability number or warrant number ready.

Return to top