2010-07-21 / Looking Back

Looking Back

From the files of Hoosier Democrat, Delphi Journal, Journal-Citizen and Carroll County Comet. Photo provided by Carroll County Historical Museum.

Street Fair, 1890, possibly Bringhurst or Flora. Does anyone know? Contact the Comet. Street Fair, 1890, possibly Bringhurst or Flora. Does anyone know? Contact the Comet. 10 YEARS AGO

Brandi Nichols, 17, of Delphi was crowned queen of the Carroll County 4-H Fair during the pageant Saturday night. Her court includes: Miss Congeniality Katherine Huffer; First Runnerup and Miss Congeniality Elizabeth Wireman; Second Runner-up Molly Crowel and Third Runner-up Andrea Newhart.

The Washington Street Bridge on US421 across Deer Creek in Delphi, will be closed for a 1.3 million re-construction project in the near future. Construction on the bridge includes new piers and concrete surfacing, a new storm drainage system and slotted drains, and sidewalks will be included on the west side of the bridge into the city and partially on the northeast side of the bridge. Sidewalks will include disability access ramps. The plan also includes a roughed-in pedestrian walkway under the bridge long Deer Creek.

A wall of the Whiteman building, corner of Washington and Franklin streets in Delphi, is being given a primer coat in preparation for the eventual painting of a mural. The project is a cooperative effort of the Delphi Parks & Recreation Summer Classes and the Living Faith Church of the Brethren Junior High Youth Group. The mural will be a portrait gallery of men and women who were important in Carroll County’s history.

25 YEARS AGO

Delphi’s 50,000-gallon water tank near the water works building on Front Street is getting a new frost jacket. The tower was built in 1922 of quarter inch plate steel and covered with three layers of wood for insulation. In 1936, A.B. Cripe, a Delphi tinner, completely covered the wood with metal bands for protection. The new frost jacket is aluminum over insulation and is costing the city $13,800. Standing 150 feet high, the tower has never frozen according to water superintendent Glen Harner. The city uses an average 700,000 gallons of water each day.

Julie Rose of Delphi was crowned Miss Carroll County at the 4-H Fair Sunday evening. Others in the court are: Suzi Bartlow, first runner-up; Susie Rose, second runner-up; Lori Carroll, third runner-up; and Stephanie Myer, Miss Congeniality.

50 YEARS AGO

Patty Todd of Burlington, received grand champion winner and Marilyn McCain of Jackson township, reserve champion of the Carroll County 4-H Dress Revue held Friday night at Camden.

Delphi Police Chief Lee Thompson announces that the city of Delphi has received an award of honor from the Indiana Traffic Safety Foundation, Inc. The award was presented to Chief Thompson by Albert E. Huber, executive director of the foundation in recognition of the city’s traffic death free year in 1959.

Dennis Cripe, son of Mr. and Mrs. Loyd Cripe, of South Delphi, duplicated the efforts of his brother Doug, in Kokomo Soap Box Derby Saturday. Doug was runner-up in the big event last year and Dennis achieved the same distinction this year.

75 YEARS AGO

The famous Culver Black Horse troop will visit Delphi on August 6th, according to word received by Dr. Hubert Gros from officers of the organization. Dr. Gros was at Culver for a year and was instrumental in having them here. They will arrive on August 6th, at 10 o’clock in the morning with 90 horses and 103 men and encamp in the city park beside Deer Creek. They will then stay here all day. In the afternoon an effort is being made to have them play a baseball game with the Delphi Merchants. They will stay all night here and then move on towards Culver. On the night before arrival here they are staying at the Lafayette fair grounds. They will parade in and out of town and this will be an interesting sight for all townspeople. Officers in charge will be Colonel Rossow, Major Whitley and Captain Rich.

100 YEARS AGO

Quite a surprise was sprung in this city early yesterday, morning when news was circulated and the fact became known that Noah E. and B. B. Mayhill, two Flora residents, had purchased the old reliable county paper, The Delphi Journal, from Ex- Congressman C. B. Landis and Victor L. Ricketts, at a price not made known. It was not even known here that such a deal was on. They will take possession Monday morning. The paper is one of the best in the Central Indiana district and is a republican organ of several years standing. Both Mayhills are well known here, and are former owners of the Democrat. They are both newspaper men of experience and will make the Journal of still a better standard than it has been for many years past.

Return to top